Reason why – Emilia Romagna F1 Grand Prix Cancelled Amidst Weather Chaos

As severe rain and floods devastated the northern Italian area, Formula One and local organizers decided to cancel the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix on Wednesday in Imola.

According to the sport, the competition could not be staged this weekend in a safe manner, and the decision was “the right and responsible thing to do given the situation faced by the towns and cities in the region.”

On a packed calendar that initially had a record 24 events but dropped to 23 in January when China was cancelled and is now expected to end up with 22, there is little room for rescheduling.

The region had received a red alert weather warning from Italy’s civil protection agency on Monday, and transport minister Matteo Salvini called for a postponement of the race on Wednesday “to concentrate all efforts on coping with the emergency.”

The race last year drew 129,000 spectators over the course of the weekend and 64,000 on Sunday.

The Santerno river runs alongside the Imola track, and while the paddock stayed dry, the surrounding surroundings, including parking lots and some access roads, were flooded as water levels rose.

According to officials, hundreds of residents in towns and cities all around the region had to leave their homes after at least eight people died. View More

Stefano Domenicali, the chief executive of Formula One and an Imola native who worked at the circuit as a young man before joining Ferrari, indicated that the decision to forego moving further was the right one.

“While the authorities deal with this extremely awful situation, we need to ensure safety and not create additional burdens,” he said.

The race was slated to be both the first in Europe and the sixth round of the season.

Ferrari backed the cancellation along with other drivers and teams.

The safety of everyone who lives in or works in the impacted areas must be the top priority right now, the Italian team stated in a statement, despite the fact that it is their home race and hence considerably more significant to them.

It is “heartbreaking to see what people are going through,” said principal Fred Vasseur.

On social media, Lewis Hamilton, a seven-time world champion driving for Mercedes, said: “We wish we could be racing, but this is definitely the right decision.”

In anticipation of floods, Formula One staff were advised to vacate the circuit on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the paddock remained locked.
Although the cars weren’t scheduled to go on the track until Friday, the advance crew and technical staff had already arrived to set up the hospitality and garages.

The season’s opening tripleheader, the Grand Prix, was supposed to be followed by weekends featuring Monaco and Spain.

Red Bull has won each race thus far, and double world champion Max Verstappen leads teammate Sergio Perez by 14 points.

The team posted a message on Twitter saying, “We support the decision… safety to all those involved and in the region is paramount and has to take priority.”

Leave a Comment